hydrates and moisturizes the skin
Water is essential to our skin’s health. A well-hydrated or well-moisturized skin doesn’t just look good; it also fulfills its function and protects us from damaging external elements. If your skin is dry, consider using aloe vera to address your skin’s hydration needs.
Aloe vera is a natural hydrator and moisturizer. Its gel consists mainly of water – about 98.5% – and polysaccharides, as well as small amounts of amino acids, lipids, and sterols. Because of its composition, aloe vera gel can replenish the water content of cells and improve the skin’s ability to absorb moisture and nutrients. It also helps lock in moisture to build the skin’s protective barrier. This barrier can prevent the loss of water and keep the skin soft and smooth.
Another good thing about aloe vera is that it doesn’t discriminate between skin types. Whether you have normal, oily, dry, or sensitive skin, you can use aloe vera as part of your skin care routine. Here are some simple recipes for DIY aloe vera face masks that are suitable for different skin types.
For dry skin
- Combine aloe vera gel with olive oil and add shea butter. You can use shea butter creams as an alternative.
- Mix them well until they form a thick paste. Apply the paste to your face and neck.
- Keep the mask on for at least 20 minutes then rinse it off with warm water to seal in moisture.
For normal skin
- Combine 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon of gram flour, 1 teaspoon of orange peel powder, and some curd.
- Mix them well and apply the mixture to your face and neck. Make sure to avoid the areas around the eyes.
- Keep the mask on for 30 minutes then wash your face and neck with warm water.
For sensitive skin
- Combine aloe vera gel with enough cucumber juice and some curd to make a paste.
- Mix them well and add 3 drops of rose water or any essential oil of your choosing. Some useful oils for sensitive skin are lavender, frankincense, cedarwood, tea tree, geranium, and ylang-ylang (8).
- Keep the mask on your skin for 15 minutes then wash with warm water.
For oily skin
- Boil aloe vera leaf (washed) in water then grind it into a paste.
- Add a few drops of natural honey to the paste and mix well before applying it to your face.
- Keep the mask on for 15 minutes then rinse it off with warm or cold water.